Getting Crafty: Printing Your Own Beer LabelsAugust 17, 2011
If you are an up-and-coming craft brewer and looking to label your own line of delicious brews, we’re here to give you some tips for printing labels with all of the required information.
What USA Labeling Regulations Do I Need To Follow?
Before you can put your beer on the market, you have to first receive a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) from the Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). You can apply for a COLA by going to the TTB’s website and downloading the application. Once you are there you can also find the necessary information you’ll need to have on your label before you send it in for approval.
Each beer that is put out into the market must have a label that displays the following:
- Name or trade name of the brewer
- Net contents of the bottle (exact volume of beer within the bottle)
- Nature of the product (beer, ale, IPA, stout, etc.)
- ACTUAL place of production (city and state)
One thing that is not mentioned on this list is Alcohol Content. Unlike liquors, beer is not required to list alcohol content on their labels.
Crafting Up Your Own Beer Labels with In-house Label Printing
One of the best accessories for crafting beer and marketing it is an in-house label printer. Making your own beer labels with an in-house color label printer is the perfect match for the craft beer tradition of experimentation, adaptability, and small batch production. It’s no surprise that microbreweries and brew pubs around the world are finding that they can easily and affordably print custom beer labels in “short runs” using their own QuickLabel digital label printers.
Worry About Stocking Beer, Not Stocking Labels!
With the ability to print your own labels in-house on demand, brewers can eliminate the need to keep a stock of pre-printed labels, and put a halt to delays for new labels by printing beer labels instantly, as they are needed.
By printing beer labels digitally, beer makers are free to make beer labels for each unique brew without meeting the “minimum purchase quantity” of labels required by commercial label printers.
Your delicious brews deserve a beautiful and creative label that showcases the quality of the of the beer inside. With your in-house label printer you can design your own labels to best portray your unique beer crafting. In-house label printing allows you to have full creative control over your labels so that you can get the labels you want when you need them. You can print color labels with text, photos, and graphics, for:
- Customized labels for special events
- Seasonal labels for seasonal brews
- Small quantities of labels for small batch beers
- Prototype labels for marketing samples
- Sample labels for new brews
What Are My In-House Printing Options?
QuickLabel Systems has two fabulous solutions for printing labels in-house, when you need them.
- The first option is the affordable Zeo! desktop label printer. Ideal for lower-volume, brewpub production and designed for printing color labels for the limited quantities of bottles and barrels sold on-site.
- The second option is the Vivo! Touch label printer. This top notch in-house printer is designed for larger-scale production, printing color beer bottle labels for cases of beer according to batch production or seasonal/sales demand.