Just 38 states allowed home deliveries of our favorite wines up Until April 30, 2012.
On May 1, 2012, that number became 39. Purchasing and receiving wine by mail order is now officially legalized in the state of New Jersey. The new law allows New Jersey wineries to sell their wines online and ship directly to consumers. In addition, residents of New Jersey can now have wines from other states shipped to their homes. Previously in NJ, wineries could only sell from their showrooms or through wholesalers and retailers.
The new law is likely to raise wine sales, benefiting New Jersey wineries and retailers.
What are the Rules of the New Shipping Law?
- As of May 1, 2012, any New Jersey winery can ship up to 12 cases per year to any New Jersey state resident who is of legal drinking age (21 years or older.)
- Any New Jersey winery has the option of applying for a direct shipping license in any of the 38 other direct shipping-permissible states. License permitting, NJ wineries may also directly ship up to 12 cases per year to an out-of-state resident of legal drinking age (21 years or older).
- Out-of-state small wineries (producing less than 250,000 gallons of wine per year) can directly ship to up to 12 cases per year to NJ residents who are 21 years of age or older
- Wineries can find shipping applications and instructions on the NJ Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) website
In Which States is it Still Illegal to Ship Wine Direct?
- AL, AR, DE, KY (felony), MA, MS, MT (consumer permit – no carrier), OK, PA (special interstate by 3-tier only), SD, and UT (felony for winery to direct ship). (Source: FreeTheGrapes.org)
If you’re a wine producer or retailer who is expecting to increase the volume of wine you’re shipping, you might consider printing your own wine labels with a QuickLabel printer. You can print personalized wine labels and labels for seasonal and special event wines, all at a low cost per printed label,! The QuickLabel line of color label printers allow you to instantly print wine labels in any quantity (even just one personalized label!) whenever you need them. If you’d like to see how easy it is to print your own wine labels, schedule a label printer demonstration at your winery or tasting room.